How we handle your personal informationAssurant respects the privacy of our customers. Please read the following privacy notice to understand how we, as a data controller, collect, use and protect the personal information that you provide to us for purposes of providing the product or service which you have obtained from us.
Personal information that we collect from and about you
We collect and use the following personal information from you as part of providing the product or service to you:
• Name and contact details (e.g., postal address, telephone number, mobile number, email address, etc.);
• Claims-related information (e.g., covered device information, date of loss, etc.)
• Records of any correspondence regarding any specific enquiry; and
• Feedback that you provide on our services (including through customer experience surveys).
You can choose whether or not you provide this information to us, but if you decide not to do so, we may not be able to process a claim related to the product or service you have obtained from us.
This information is intended to be used by us for the following purposes:
• For performance of a contract related to a product or service you have obtained from us;
• For customer experience surveys (where permitted and in compliance with applicable laws), performing internal administrative functions, handling customer enquiries, managing customer relationships and evaluating the appropriateness of this service and its benefits. We use your information for these purposes where necessary for pursuit of our legitimate interests (monitoring and improving our offerings and our customer experience and administering our internal processes).
• Anti-money laundering, anti-terrorism efforts and sanctions screening. We use your information for these purposes where necessary for compliance with our legal obligations.
Whom we share your personal information with
Your personal information will be disclosed to Assurant and to any other entity or service provider contractually obligated to us for the purpose of performing tasks that directly relate to the above-described purposes. Your personal information will also be disclosed to public bodies and organisations in order to satisfy our legal obligations, where required.
Where we send your personal information
Your personal information will be processed within your local country borders and may also be processed outside your country, such as in the United States.
How long we keep your personal information
Your personal information will be retained as long as necessary for the performance of the product or service arrangement and for as long as required or permitted by applicable law or regulation. Where we process personal information in connection with performing the arrangement, we keep data for 5 years from your last interaction with us.
How and why we will contact you
We may contact you by post, mobile phone, text, or email to provide the product or service, obtain your views on our services and to let you know about important changes to the services which we are providing or to ask you to complete a customer satisfaction survey. We may also communicate with you through third party communications platforms (such as WhatsApp), which have their own platform terms and conditions separate from Assurant and where you have provided your consent as required by local applicable data protection legislation. Any information that you provide to us in response to these communications will not be used or disclosed other than in accordance with this privacy notice, or without your permission, unless required by law. If you would prefer us not to contact you to obtain your views and feedback on the product or service or you change your mind in the future and would like us to stop contacting you for this purpose, you can request this at any time by calling us or in writing to: Assurant Puerto Rico, 350 Carlos Chardon Ave, Suite 1101, San Juan, PR 00918.
Pursuant to applicable data protection legislation, you have a right of notice, access, data portability, rectification, restriction of processing, erasure of the information we hold about you, as well as an objection right which you may exercise at any time by sending your request in writing to: Assurant Puerto Rico,350 Carlos Chardon Ave, Suite 1101, San Juan, PR 00918.
You may also submit your request in writing to Assurant Data Protection Officer by sending an email to email@example.com.
Please note that the exercise of such rights is not absolute and is subject to the limitations provided by applicable law.